Oklahoma State football: Cowboys' bye week will be used to make tweaks to offense
Offensive coordinator Todd Monken will adjust to take advantage of J.W. Walsh's strengths at quarterback
Videoview all videos
Sep 16When starting QB Wes Lunt is lost to injury less then two...
Sep 15Gina Mizell and Jenni Carlson talk about the injury to...
Photoview all 58 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
And this week, Walsh will see a dramatic bump in practice reps, from six of 37 snaps during team drills to 28 snaps. Monken said he expects Walsh to most improve is his drop-back passes, where defenses show more blitzes and coverage looks. And now he's got significant film — Savannah State doesn't count — of himself in a college game to look at.
“How do we speed him up? Like all players, he's only going to get better with reps,” Monken said. “What's he going to get better at? He's going to get better at drop-back stuff, because he's going to get more reps this week.
“When you only get 20 percent of the snaps during the week, you're not going to improve. I think he's gonna see some things. You gain confidence through success, but you gain a lot through failure.”
The extra week should benefit coaches, too, who don't have to start game planning for Texas right away and instead can spend additional time making adjustments for Walsh. A large portion of the load will fall on offensive line coach Joe Wickline, who plays a huge role in crafting the scheme for the running game, and, of course, Monken, who calls the plays.
“Our base system's got to stay the same,” Monken said. “Holy cow, that's what (Walsh) knows. But then we've got to tailor it to him. That's what you're supposed to do. That's the puzzle. That's figuring it out.”
It's for a different reason than Monken originally thought, but the Cowboys' bye week still appears to have come at the perfect time.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad