Oklahoma State football: Cowboys demolish Texas Tech, 59-21
STILLWATER — Isaiah Anderson had a career-best 174 yards receiving and caught three long touchdown passes from Clint Chelf in his final home game, leading Oklahoma State to a 59-21 win against No. 23 Texas Tech on Saturday.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 100 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But Walsh, who has returned way ahead of schedule from what was originally identified as a season-ending knee injury, gave OSU something often missing in its spread offense — an effective threat in short-yardage and goal-line situations. He scored from two yards out in the second quarter. Later, he handed off to Randle on fourth-and-1 for a first down. He then entered the game in another goal-line situation late in the third quarter, and handed off to Randle for a leaping score to extend the Cowboys' advantage to 52-14.
So what do we call the Walsh package? The CarWalsh? The Walshing Machine? The 4 Wheeler?
“It's always fun to be on the field, no matter what the situation is,” Walsh said.
Gundy acknowledged after the game that this type of two-quarterback system what he wanted at the start of the year with Lunt and Walsh. But that hasn't been possible for the majority of the season, first because of Lunt's knee/ankle injury sustained in mid-September, then because of Walsh's knee injury sustained in late October.
But here's the Chelf-Walsh duo in mid-November.
Monken said after the game that Lunt is doing fine medically — and “hanging in there” mentally. Lunt led a touchdown drive in a two-minute drill in practice this week, Monken said, and will be ready if needed down the stretch. Right now, though, the Cowboys are going to ride Chelf's momentum as the starter.
So after questions and uncertainly about the quarterback position for the better part of two months, the pecking order appears to be set before the Cowboys head down to Norman — barring injuries, of course. And it all gives the Sooners' coaching staff plenty of new elements to look at on film this coming week.
“It's really unique,” Walsh said of his situational play. “But it's really special to have the group of guys we have right now.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13360Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9892Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9697Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8639Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6622Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5282Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister