Oklahoma State football: Cowboys making more of less?
Coach Mike Gundy said OSU has more recruiting inroads than ever, but “we still don't have them like Texas does.”
Videoview all videos
Sep 25Will Lunt be ready to go for the Cowboys' first Big 12...
Sep 25Texas is a top-ten team, but just how good is Mack...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Just don't count OSU cornerback Justin Gilbert among one of Ash's convinced believers just yet.
“That shows he's matured,” Gilbert said, “but when we get into Big 12 play, we'll see what he's holding on to. I think he's maturing a little bit, making a little bit better decisions. But I think if we get some pressure on him up front, we'll set him down a little bit.”
OPPONENT WATCH: TEXAS INJURIES
The status of Cowboys quarterback Wes Lunt isn't the only intriguing injury element leading into Saturday's game against Texas.
The Longhorns have two questionable starters: linebacker Jordan Hicks (hip) and tailback Joe Bergeron (shoulder).
Both players missed all practices a week ago, and UT coach Mack Brown said Monday he still isn't sure if either will be ready by Saturday.
Hicks is the tougher player to replace, as Bergeron has already been splitting carries with Malcolm Brown, Johnathan Gray and Jeremy Hills.
“Jordan is a big part of the defense,” 'Horns cornerback Quandre Diggs told reporters. “If he's not out there, we'll miss him.”
WALSH DIDN'T HAVE EYES FOR TEXAS
A Texas high school product, Cowboys quarterback J.W. Walsh said he didn't grow up dreaming of wearing horns on his helmet, like so many kids in his home state.
“I really never had a school that I followed,” Walsh said. “I always just watched college football with my dad. It was one of those things where if a team was playing well at the time, that's who I wanted to play for.
“One week it could have been the University of Miami. The next week, it could have been Oklahoma State.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister