Oklahoma State football: Cowboys won't beat ULL playing like they did vs. Arizona
BERRY TRAMEL COMMENTARY — Oklahoma State could be in for a long season if last Saturday was any indication. Play like the Cowboys did against Arizona and they'll be lucky to win more than a couple Big 12 games.
STILLWATER – Football at its worst. That's what OSU displayed a week ago in the desert.
Four turnovers, 59 points allowed, 167 yards in penalties, which would have been more had the goal line not gotten in the way, resulting in half-the-distance infractions.
Videoview all videos
Sep 14Jenni and Berry pick the following games: Florida vs....
Sep 14Sept. 14, 2012: Mike Sherman leads a sports roundtable...
Sep 14Sophmore Jake Jenkins will take Evan Epstein's place in...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
That's not just an awful game. OSU's 59-38 loss at Arizona was a candidate for the worst game ever played, by any team.
“To give up 59 points and play as bad as we did, it's embarrassing,” said OSU defensive tackle Cooper Bassett. “We did everything we could to hurt ourselves.”
The main argument against worst-game-ever-played status was the awful officiating. As many as six of OSU's 15 major penalties were bogus calls, courtesy of the Pac-12 clowns.
But take away those six penalties, and you've still got nine major penalties. Ridiculous.
“It really sucks for us to have those types of penalties,” said Cowboy flanker Josh Stewart.
Play like that, and OSU won't beat Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday at Boone Pickens Stadium. Play like that, and OSU won't beat any Big 12 team, with the possible exception of Kansas.
“Play that way … I don't see how we can win,” said Mike Gundy. “I'm not sure we were good enough last year to overcome 15 (penalties) for 167 (yards), with four turnovers. We're certainly not good enough this year.”
Said linebacker Shaun Lewis, “Definitely a wakeup call. Heat of the moment. People letting their emotions get the best of ‘em.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 88863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16945OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12611Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12094Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 9737Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9076Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8890Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation