Oklahoma State football: Defense coaches trying to compensate for Bill Young's absence
While Young is sidelined, Glenn Spencer and other defensive assistants are preparing for a quick, powerful Arizona offense
Videoview all videos
Sep 4Wildcats head coach Rich Rodriguez has brought a...
Sep 4Gina Mizell talks about how the defense is adjusting...
Sep 3OSU's head coach steps up to the podium to recap the...
Sep 3Wes Lunt had a perfect night, despite no touchdown...
Sep 3Reserve running back Desmond Roland receives the handoff...
Photoview all 43 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Spencer now knows those calls will need to come in even faster against Arizona's up-tempo spread offense. That made Saturday's game vs. Savannah State a valuable learning experience.
“Savannah was a slower team,” Spencer said. “Now, all of a sudden, Arizona's not. They're on the ball, just like us. The communication on my end's going to have to be a lot faster tempo-wise in the box to the field than it was Saturday.”
Even with those changes, players said they didn't notice much difference.
“Coach Spencer led us perfectly,” linebacker Caleb Lavey said. “It was like nothing had really changed. He took control and it was just like any other game, really.”
Added defensive end Nigel Nicholas: “It really felt like Coach Young was still there (with) how good (Spencer) was.”
Spencer still talked to Young on the phone every day last week. First, to check in and tell him he was missed. Then, to bounce ideas around like they normally would at the office.
Spencer plans to continue those conversations on a daily basis this week, as well, and looks forward to Young returning in time to be back on the sideline when the Cowboys face Louisiana-Lafayette on Sept. 15.
Until then, Spencer believes the way Young has led the defensive staff has prepared those coaches to overcome his absence and face a powerful Wildcat offense on Saturday.
“Yes, we miss him out on the field,” Spencer said. “We miss his leadership, and we can't wait until next week. But in the meantime, it's our job to take care of business just like we would if he was here.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10959Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10925Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9866Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9099Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5228Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4380Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3947OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M