Oklahoma State football: Doug Meacham leaving OSU for Houston
The Cowboys' inside receivers coach will become the University of Houston's offensive coordinator, leaving the Cowboys with two holes on the offensive staff.
STILLWATER — Oklahoma State is about to have two major holes to fill on its offensive staff.
The University of Houston is set to hire Cowboy inside receivers coach Doug Meacham as its offensive coordinator, a source close to the OSU program confirmed to The Oklahoman on Saturday.
NewsOK Related Articles
The Houston Chronicle first reported Meacham’s imminent hiring, citing a source with knowledge of the situation. The Chronicle reported an official announcement is expected Monday.
OSU coach Mike Gundy is already looking for a new offensive coordinator, a position that was vacated last month when Todd Monken took the head coaching job at Southern Miss.
Meacham, a former OSU offensive lineman, had spent the past eight seasons in Stillwater, helping coach a prolific Cowboy offense that averaged 547 yards and 45.7 points per game in 2012.
At Houston, Meacham will fill the void on staff left by Mike Nesbitt, who was fired after the first game of the 2012 season. Quarterbacks coach Travis Bush, who filled Nesbitt’s role for the rest of the season, will be the co-offensive coordinator and assistant head coach in 2013, according to the Chronicle’s source.
Houston, like OSU, is known for running a high-powered spread offense. Former Cowboy offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen came from Houston to install the Air Raid attack at OSU in 2010, before leaving after one season. He is now the head coach at West Virginia.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates