Oklahoma State football: ESPNU announcers critical of Cowboys' late-game play-calling
Videoview all videos
Jan 2Clint Chelf threw three touchdown passes and the OSU...
Jan 1Jenni Carlson and Gina Mizell on how things got out of...
Photoview all 64 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
If he plays so well in games, you might wonder if he needs to practice that hard.”
After Chelf's second touchdown pass of the game, a 7-yard toss to Blake Jackson, Stinchcomb said, “Twice now we've seen him really put it into a tight window, throwing over coverage.”
He called freshman Josh Stewart, who caught five passes for 56 yards and returned a punt 64 yards, the Big 12's best returning receiver next season.
* Purdue dropped numerous passes, prompting studio analyst Dan Hawkins, a former Colorado coach, to poke fun at the Boilermakers at halftime. “It looked like Purdue was trying to catch rattlesnakes throwing the ball.”
* In a booth interview in the third quarter, the announcers grilled new Purdue coach Darrell Hazell on why he decided to coach Kent State in its bowl game Jan. 6 against Arkansas State. Hazell noted the tightness with his players and the fact the Golden Flashes hadn't been to a bowl in 40 years.
Asked about Purdue's dismal performance, Hazell said, “Too many turnovers and missed opportunities. When you're playing a good football team like Oklahoma State, it's hard.”
* ESPNU cameras caught NFL standouts Dez Bryant (OSU) and Drew Brees (Purdue) smiling on their team's sidelines.
* The broadcast offered few crowd shots and no panoramic shots, an indication of the poor turnout (listed as 48,313) at the Cotton Bowl.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11641Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11150Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7658Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4653Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4189OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3570Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit