Joseph Randle was never hungry to be in the media spotlight.
At Oklahoma State, he was the interview who always had concise answers. Mostly deflected questions about himself. Always spoke highly of teammates and coaches.
That’s not how every 20-year-old college student reacts in the same circumstances.
So it wasn’t all that surprising when a report surfaced via Twitter Monday afternoon that the second-year Dallas Cowboys running back had planned to not talk to the media this season. But Randle changed his mind for a pretty good reason:
Cowboys RB Joseph Randle planned not to talk to media this year. Told he could be fined $25K/week, he said, "I guess I’ll talk to y’all."
— Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon) August 19, 2014
A financially sound decision.
The NFL season lasts 17 weeks. Had Randle had just accepted the penalty, it would cost him $425,000.
Randle will just have to deal to with reporters this season, but it’s far from his number-one priority. He’s fighting for position on Dallas’ running back depth chart, firmly behind DeMarco Murray and Lance Dunbar. The number three slot will be filled by either Randle or former Virginia Tech back Ryan Williams.
Randle scored two touchdowns and rushed for 164 yards on 54 carries last season.
“(Randle’s) really done an excellent job since the start of training camp,’’ Cowboys coach Jason Garrett told The Dallas Morning News earlier this month. “He’s grown a lot since he’s been with us. I thought he was decisive running the football, putting his foot in the ground and getting up the field. It looks like he saw the field well, saw the holes, saw the soft spots and got north and south. I thought he had a real good night.
“I think you’re seeing him grow and mature right before our eyes.’’