Oklahoma State football: J.W. Walsh out for season with knee injury
Quarterback suffered injury during first quarter Saturday vs. Iowa State, but he finished the game and led Cowboys to victory.
STILLWATER — Oklahoma State quarterback J.W. Walsh, who has started the past three games for the Cowboys, is out for the season with a knee injury, coach Mike Gundy revealed during his weekly teleconference Sunday evening.
Videoview all videos
Oct 20Highlights from Mike Gundy's 63rd win as Oklahoma State's...
Oct 20Berry Tramel and Gina Mizell talk about the dominating...
Photoview all 38 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Gundy said the injury happened in the first quarter of OSU’s 31-10 victory over Iowa State Saturday afternoon and is not career-threatening. Walsh remained in the game and threw for 415 yards, the ninth-best passing performance in school history, and a touchdown. He also rushed for 46 yards and a score.
“He finished the game and he ran, made throws,” Gundy said. “I’m speaking a little bit out of turn here, because it wasn’t an injury that progressively got worse. It just happened, and then he was able to play with the pain.
“I can only say that it was a pretty amazing performance. I would hate to use that term for a guy or a player on my team that’s only a freshman, but for him to finish the game the way he did and run the football and never say a word was really a terrific performance.”
Walsh’s injury is, of course, the second blow to a quarterback the Cowboys have been dealt this season, as starter Wes Lunt sustained a left knee/ankle injury on the Cowboys' first drive against Louisiana-Lafayette on Sept. 15.
Walsh had filled in since Lunt’s injury, and on the season completed 66.2 percent of his passes for 1,467 yards, 10 touchdowns and three interceptions.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort