Oklahoma State football: J.W. Walsh was up to the task; OSU's defense was not
COMMENTARY — In his first collegiate start, J.W. Walsh passed the test. Oklahoma State's defense could not.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 67 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“I thought J.W. played very well. Did he make some mistakes? Yes. Was he confused at times? Yes. That's a pretty good defensive football team. He handled himself pretty well.”
Alas, the OSU defense didn't. I know, this is the Big 12, where 70-63 finals can happen.
But despite the clear improvement of Texas quarterback David Ash, he's not Geno Smith. The Longhorns are much better but are not an offensive juggernaut.
And OSU's defense wasn't up to the task. The Cowboys had given up touchdowns on Texas' first two possessions of the game, both via big pass plays.
Bill Young seemed jinxed; three times he called a blitz that was countered by a screen pass for a big gainer.
Eventually, the Cowboy defense stabilized. And then it wilted.
The game came down to one play: UT down 36-34, facing 4th-and-6 on its 29-yard line and less than two minutes left.
That's where clutch is determined. OSU's defense didn't have the gene. Ash did.
Ash hit tight end D.J. Grant on a short crossing pattern, Grant evaded defender Joe Mitchell and suddenly the ‘Horns had a 29-yard gain. Two plays later, Ash hit Mike Davis for a 32-yard gain against cornerback Justin Gilbert, and Texas could name its time to score.
Berry Tramel: Berry can be reached at (405) 760-8080 or at email@example.com. He can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including FM-98.1. You can also view his personality page at newsok.com/berrytramel.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14804OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10332Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6926Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6240Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6240Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5695Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4108Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?