Oklahoma State football: Joseph Randle offered by Jayhawks — in fourth grade
Randle said Missouri's Gary Pinkel and Kansas State's Bill Snyder dangled scholarship at that time, too.
Cowboys running back Joseph Randle was a hot prospect coming out of Wichita Southeast High.
So hot, Kansas started scholarship talks when he was still in elementary school.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“I got a scholarship offer from them when I was in the fourth grade,” Randle said Monday, warming up for Saturday's visit to Lawrence.
The Jayhawks were recruiting Randle's big brother, John Randle, and would eventually get him. When coaches from KU and other schools made their in-home visits, little brother used the opportunity to put himself on the map.
“I was the happiest one in the house when they came by,” Joseph Randle said. “I'd be popping in my highlight tapes. Not my highlight tape, the regular game. I never came off the field. So it was like the whole game was a highlight tape back then.”
The clearly confident Randle wasn't wooed only by the Jayhawks, who were coached by Mark Mangino at the time.
Randle said Missouri's Gary Pinkel and Kansas State's Bill Snyder dangled scholarships at that time, too.
“They all said, ‘We're going to offer you when you get of age,'” Randle said. “I was like, ‘All right.'
“I was playing hard to get even back then.”
OPPONENT WATCH: KU CONTROVERSY?
At 1-4, the Jayhawks are off to a stumbling start.
So KU coach Charlie Weis is getting his younger players ready … for the future.
That's what the first-year coach said Monday on the Big 12 Conference call, saying, “We practiced without seniors on Sunday. We need to develop younger players for the future.”
Quickly, those words set off alarms that perhaps Weis has given up on this season — and his seniors — with OSU due in Lawrence Saturday.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M