Oklahoma State football: Let Clint Chelf keep competing for the starting job
COMMENTARY — After his MVP performance in the Heart of Dallas Bowl, Oklahoma State's message to quarterback Clint Chelf should be this: Don't stop competing.
Videoview all videos
Jan 2Clint Chelf threw three touchdown passes and the OSU...
Jan 1Jenni Carlson and Gina Mizell on how things got out of...
Photoview all 64 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Walsh, for example, played the better part of a quarter Tuesday, and he threw for 86 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 13 yards. He was about as effective as you could imagine anyone could've been. But how did he compare to Chelf? Better? Worse? Same?
I don't know.
But here's what I do know — the Cowboys need to let this thing play out in the spring. I'm pretty sure no one in the Cowboy Nation wants another springtime quarterback derby, but this team needs to know for sure that it has the best guy.
Could that be Chelf?
Look how much he's evolved since taking over the job less than two months ago. He threw more good balls Tuesday than any previous game, looking as comfortable and controlled as ever. Clearly, the game experience and the added practice reps with the first-team offense have benefited him.
“Obviously, I want to be the guy,” Chelf said. “Now that this game's over, (spring practice is) the thing you've got to start looking forward to. I'll be ready in the spring to lead the team.”
Chelf propped that MVP trophy against his leg as he talked.
“When we trot out there in the spring, I don't plan on losing the job.”
Right now, I don't see him losing it this spring either.
Jenni Carlson: Jenni can be reached at (405) 475-4125. Like her at facebook.com/JenniCarlsonOK, follow her at twitter.com/jennicarlson_ok or view her personality page at newsok.com/jennicarlson.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 92690Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17105OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12852Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8967Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8623Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8590How to help tornado victims
- 8406Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located