Oklahoma State football: Like Mike Yurcich, others have made giant leaps from small time to big time football
Some have been huge successes. Some have not.
STILLWATER — Mike Yurcich's jump from Division II's Shippensburg University to Oklahoma State is a big one for the new Cowboy offensive coordinator.
Videoview all videos
Feb 11Like Mike Yurcich, others have made giant leaps from...
Photoview all photos
But there are others who have made similar leaps. Some have been huge successes. Some have not.
Here's a look at some other coaches who could have been regarded as unorthodox hires when first announced by a major college football program:
This was the most common comparison made when Yurcich’s hiring was announced last week. Kelly was hired away from New Hampshire when Oregon needed a new offensive coordinator in 2007. Two years later, he became the Ducks’ head coach and elevated that program to elite status, largely because of its up-tempo spread offense. After taking Oregon to four BCS Bowl games, the Philadelphia Eagles hired Kelly as its head coach last month.
Kelly spent 17 seasons at Division II’s Grand Valley State as an assistant and head coach before Central Michigan gave him a chance to jump to the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision level. After three-year stints there and at Cincinnati, Kelly holds one of college football’s most prestigious jobs at Notre Dame, taking the Fighting Irish to the BCS national championship game this past season.
Malzahn’s jump was even bigger than Yurcich’s, as he was hired to be Arkansas’ offensive coordinator after 15 years as a high-school coach in the state. Following assistant jobs at Tulsa and Auburn and one season as the head coach at Arkansas State, Malzahn is back at Auburn as the head coach.
Morris, like Malzahn, was hired from the high school ranks to be an FBS offensive coordinator. Morris went from Lake Travis High School in Texas to Tulsa, then to Clemson to be the Tigers’ offensive coordinator.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister