Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy gives Wes Lunt an 'A' for progress
It's almost impossible to project how new Oklahoma State quarterback Wes Lunt will ultimately perform in his true freshman season.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But how he's progressed since spring football? Coach Mike Gundy said Lunt grades out high.
“He'd have an ‘A,'” Gundy said. “But a letter grade on where he's at (overall)? The best game will give us that indication of how far he's come. I'm comfortable with him. I don't have anything or any concerns right now.”
Doesn't mean the 18-year-old is perfect, though.
“He's very capable of making mistakes,” Gundy said. “As we all know, any skill player that puts the ball on the ground or gives it to the other team can certainly affect a game quicker than any other position on the field. I think he's doing very well, but he still makes some mistakes.
“The area that he's really impressed me in is his demeanor, the way he handles the offense. If he makes a mistake, he doesn't let it bother him. His short-term memory's been really good.”
TODD MONKEN'S UNENVIABLE DECISION
Cowboy offensive coordinator Todd Monken spoke Saturday about how difficult a task it must be to tell a kid — in this case No. 3 quarterback Clint Chelf — that he'd lost a position battle, and a very public position battle at that.
Among toughest job duties, he ranked it just behind telling an NFL player he'd been cut.
“That's the hardest part,” Monken said, “telling kids, when in their minds it may not be obvious. When it's obvious, that's easy, they get it. Around Brandon Weeden, no one came in and said, ‘Hey, do I get to compete?'”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21736Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17602Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12531Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9970Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9708Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9584Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7184Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense