Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy hasn't talked to Wes Lunt about experience as a freshman quarterback
Gundy, who started as a freshman in 1986, said: “I think the only thing I could do now is mess him up. He seems to be very levelheaded.”
Mike Gundy doesn't know exactly what Wes Lunt is going through. The Oklahoma State coach didn't have the preseason buildup of being a true freshman starting quarterback. He jumped from third-teamer to starter at halftime of the Cowboys' third game in 1986.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Still, Gundy could surely share some stories and advice with Lunt on what the 18-year-old is about to face in his first season in Stillwater.
Gundy, however, hasn't felt the need to.
“I think the only thing I could do now is mess him up,” Gundy said. “He seems to be very levelheaded. He plays with confidence in difficult situations in practice. We try to put him in the most difficult positions he could be in.
“I don't see any reason for me to get involved in his mental approach at this time. I think (offensive coordinator) Todd Monken is a very smart football coach. I think he's handled him very well. The way those two are working right now, I'm just kind of watching it and seeing it develop.”
JEREMY SMITH: COWBOYS BECOMING ‘BAND OF BROTHERS'
With several leaders from the 2011 team — including stars Brandon Weeden, Justin Blackmon, Richetti Jones, Jamie Blatnick and Markelle Martin — now gone, re-establishing chemistry has been a huge point of emphasis with these Cowboys.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17700Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8160OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6156Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6118Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5947OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4682Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4603Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater