Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy says Cowboys are in crosshairs
OSU coach says Cowboys won't be able to sneak up on teams anymore.
Times have changed in Stillwater, mostly for the better.
Still, OSU's recent run of sustained success does bring a focus beyond a national spotlight and widespread recognition.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
It brings a target.
“As recently as a couple of years ago, we were able to sneak up on some teams,” said Cowboys coach Mike Gundy. “But as of last year, and I'm sure this upcoming season, those days are history.
“For the first time in football here at Oklahoma State University, we've established a little bit of tradition where people know who we are.”
Gundy said he and his staff have talked to the team about anticipating and handling the best every opponent has to offer.
“They have to accept that responsibility,” Gundy said. “The coaches have to accept it. And the players have to understand they need to put in the time and effort.”
COWBOYS KEEP QBS PROTECTED
Freshman Wes Lunt is sure to carry some anxiety into his transition from high school to college quarterback.
There is, however, reason for comfort.
Over the past five seasons, the Cowboys offensive line has carried out a protection plan that ranks among the best in the country.
Allowing a total of 61 sacks since the beginning of the 2007 season, OSU ranks No. 3 nationally in fewest sacks allowed spanning that five-year stretch. Notable, for sure, considering the Cowboys' pass-happy ways.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36498Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32022Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 18998Oklahoma tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 7837Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6469OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3675College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3601Student shot dead during botched home invasion