Oklahoma State football: Mike Yurcich's former QB has no doubts he'll succeed in Stillwater
Trevor Harris, who now plays for the Toronto Argonauts, was a redshirt freshman at Edinboro University when Mike Yurcich took over as the offensive coordinator. When all was said and done, Harris had rewritten the record books at Edinboro.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Although the way he does will be different from his predecessors.
Where Holgorsen was known to draw up schemes on a napkin and Monken was liable to say whatever popped in his head, Yurcich doesn't sound nearly as unconventional.
Harris calls him intense in practice.
“He's still got those young legs,” Harris said of the 37-year-old coach. “He's out there giving read keys. He's out there making sure everybody's locked into the game plan.
“But on game day ... he's never too high, never too low.”
Harris would get on the headset with Yurcich during games, and the way the coach talked to his quarterback was always consistent. Same tones. Same messages.
“You wouldn't be able to tell if we were up 30, down 30 or tied,” Harris said.
Harris and Yurcich built a close bond at Edinboro, and even as they've gone their separate ways, they have remained close. Harris is excited to see his former coach and football mentor get a chance to coach big-time college football.
Harris isn't the least bit shocked that Yurcich is making the move.
“To make the jump from Division II to Division I, you have to do something pretty special, and he's done something pretty special at his two stops,” Harris said. “He's had nothing but success. He's a successful person. He's a successful football coach.
“He's going to do a great job at Oklahoma State.”
Jenni Carlson: Jenni can be reached at (405) 475-4125. Like her at facebook.com/JenniCarlsonOK, follow her at twitter.com/jennicarlson_ok or view her personality page at newsok.com/jennicarlson.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad