Oklahoma State football: How the Texas-Texas A&M feud could land the Cowboys in the Cotton Bowl
COTTON BOWL -- Oklahoma State must beat Baylor Saturday to make it happen. But a big factor that could send the Cowboys to the Cotton Bowl is a Texas feud that shows no signs of ending.
Videoview all videos
Nov 29Jay writes: “We may be witnessing the beginnings of...
Nov 29Todd Monken has built a strong offensive corps in...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Bowling … where?
By Sunday night, we'll know where Oklahoma State will be playing its postseason football.
Until then, here's the latest roundup of national bowl projections for the Cowboys.
ESPN's Brad Edwards: Alamo vs. Oregon State
CBS' Jerry Palm: Buffalo Wild Wings vs. Michigan State
ESPN's Mark Schlabach: Alamo vs. UCLA
Sports Illustrated's Stewart Mandel: Alamo vs. Oregon State
ESPN's David Ubben: Cotton vs. Texas A&M
College Football News: Cotton vs. South Carolina
Sporting News: Cotton vs. Texas A&M
“No one really wants that game. It's not going to happen,” one bowl official told the Statesman.
Said another bowl official: “A&M would have a classic case of more to lose.”
So if A&M winds up being the Cotton's SEC team, OSU would be the natural fit to play in that game. And if recent history is any indication — the Cowboys won 38-35 in 2010 on a Dan Bailey field goal as time expired and 30-29 in 2011 following a furious second-half rally — a bowl meeting between OSU and A&M would be a highly anticipated matchup featuring two exciting offenses and possibly the Heisman winner in Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel.
OSU could also be an attractive selection for the Cotton Bowl if LSU is available to select from the SEC.
That would pit Les Miles against Mike Gundy a year after that matchup nearly became a reality when OSU fell just short of reaching the national title game.
The suspense and speculation will end Sunday, when all the bowl pairings are announced.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14121OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13945Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8893Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6932Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5880Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5330Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5280Student shot dead during botched home invasion