Oklahoma State football notebook: Cowboys' special teams bounce back with big performance
Videoview all videos
Nov 11Clint Chelf throws four touchdown passes and leads the...
Nov 10Gina Mizell and Berry Tramel discuss the QB carousel and...
Photoview all 71 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Lampkin was flagged for a late hit out of bounds in which he appeared to make contact in play and ride the player out of bounds.
Gundy said he looked forward to reviewing the fouls, but added “I'm not disputing the calls.”
Gundy stopped on his way to the locker room at halftime to speak with officials.
“I was just telling them they looked nice in their uniforms,” he cracked.
Oklahoma State finds itself in a unique situation through nine games this season. Every player who has scored a touchdown this season is eligible to return next year.
That's 14 players and 48 touchdowns.
Two players listed as seniors — Kye Staley and Tracy Moore — have scored touchdowns this season. Staley was granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA this week, and it has been revealed by OSU that Moore will be out for the season and qualifies for a redshirt for medical reasons.
* Gundy on the defense's performance, allowing 479 yards and 34 points, both below West Virginia's season averages: “The concern when you play West Virginia is they have the talent at any time to put up 40 or 50 points... For the most part, I thought our defense played good, because you're playing against talented guys on the perimeter. They're very explosive.”
CONNECTING THE PAST
The last time OSU and West Virginia met was the 1987 Sun Bowl, and that game had a strong presence in the stadium Saturday.
Gundy was OSU's quarterback that day, leading the Cowboys to victory.
In addition, Hall of Fame coach Don Nehlen coached West Virginia in that game. His grandson, Ryan Nehlen, had four catches for 26 yards and a touchdown Saturday.
Dan Nehlen, Ryan's father, is the Mountaineers' equipment manager, and Ryan is the nephew of former West Virginia and NFL quarterback Jeff Hostetler.
Late in the first half, three former Cowboys appeared on the field to a rousing applause — Brandon Weeden, Justin Blackmon and Josh Cooper, who led OSU to last year's historic season.
Weeden and Cooper, who both play for the Cleveland Browns, were able to attend because the Browns are off this week. Blackmon's Jacksonville Jaguars played the Thursday night game against Indianapolis.
Gilbert's five career kickoff return TDs ties the Big 12 Conference record held by Kansas State's Brandon Banks... With 74 yards Saturday, running back Joseph Randle surpassed the 1,000-yard mark for the second straight year, giving OSU a 1,000-yard back in six straight seasons. He is also the sixth OSU back to have back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons... Redshirt freshman Jeremy Seaton, a walk-on fullback/tight end from Cashion, served as one of OSU's four captains Saturday and had one reception for three yards, the first of his career... Offensive lineman Brandon Webb from Owasso made his first career start Saturday... Kicker Quinn Sharp moved into the top 10 on OSU's all-time scoring chart, tied for ninth with 252 points after scoring 13 Saturday... Junior receiver Charlie Moore has scored a touchdown in five straight games... Saturday's attendance of 57,799 was the sixth-largest crowd in Boone Pickens Stadium history.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 18759Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10409Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9339Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7780Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6796UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6582Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister