Lunt set up the deep ball to Hays with play-action, selling a fake handoff to Jeremy Smith. Randle had carried the previous four plays for 14 yards.
For Hays, it was the true freshman's second touchdown of the season.
GUNDY ENDORSES WILDCATS, SORT OF
After the loss, Gundy was asked if No. 2 Kansas State was a worthy contender in the chase for the national championship.
He didn't offer a full-on endorsement, but didn't dismiss them at all, either.
“There's probably four or five teams now that in somebody's opinion has a chance to play for that,” Gundy said. “We would love for somebody from our league to have an opportunity to play for it.
“I don't watch the other teams enough. But they're a good football team. They don't make mistakes. They've got a very mature quarterback who makes plays. And could be arguably the best team in the country in special teams.”
K-STATE'S LOCKETT GETS LOOSE
Wildcats' receiver and return man Tyler Lockett, a product of Tulsa's Booker T. Washington High School, exposed the Cowboys kickoff coverage unit.
Lockett's highlight was a 100-yard return for a touchdown after a Quinn Sharp field goal had cut K-State's lead to 17-10.
It was Lockett's fourth career kickoff return for a touchdown, tying him with two Cowboys, one present and one past — Justin Gilbert and Perrish Cox — for fourth place in the Big 12 record book.
Lockett finished with 127 yards on three kickoff returns.
“We had a few returns that were very positive,” said K-State coach Bill Snyder. “He and (Tramaine) Thompson are both quality return men, but it takes 10 other guys. And the other 10 did a nice job.”
* OSU eclipsed the 500-yard mark for total offense for the sixth time in eight games this season.
* Desmond Roland's 80-yard kickoff return for a touchdown is the longest play by a Cowboy this season.
* Charlie Moore's 13-yard touchdown reception in the fourth quarter marked the fourth straight game he's scored a TD.
* Stewart caught eight passes, giving him 56 this season.
* K-State's 31 points through two quarters were the most scored against the Cowboys by halftime this season.