Oklahoma State football report card: Plenty of high marks for Cowboys in win over TCU
Lots of good marks for Oklahoma State in its impressive 36-14 victory against TCU. The defense played great. Ditto for Joe Randle. Now, about those fumbles...
A masterful job by Bill Young and Co. The Cowboys allowed one first-quarter touchdown, missing several tackles and allowing a six-play, 83-yard drive. After that, though, the Horned Frogs got nothing. No touchdowns. No field goals. TCU came into the game as the team with the more highly regarded defense, but OSU produced the big-time defensive performance.
JOE RANDLE: A
The guy was an absolute work horse. With a bunch of hobbled offensive options — Tracy Moore and J.W. Walsh were out and Jeremy Smith and Isaiah Anderson were coming back from injuries — Randle more than made up for the injured. He carried the ball a career-high 32 times for 126 yards and one touchdown. Add five catches, and he touched the ball on more than half of the Cowboys' offensive snaps.
WES LUNT: C
The freshman quarterback was average, but considering his month-plus layoff with a knee injury, average isn't necessarily a bad thing. He struggled early, showing signs of rust with several passes that were just off the mark, but the good news is that Lunt got better as the game went on. He finished the night 18 of 33 for 324 yards with one touchdown and one interception.
You won't find a bigger fan of the all-black look than yours truly. The Cowboys wore the look last season in the Fiesta Bowl, but this season was slightly different. The OSU logo on the helmets was replaced by a gray Pistol Pete, which would've been even better with a touch of orange. Perhaps on the helmet. Perhaps next season?
BALL SECURITY: D
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 28347Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 17448Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7187OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5536OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4738Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3702Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater