Oklahoma State football: Season of 'what ifs' has left the Cowboys in an unknown bowl
Here's a quick countdown, in order, of the momentum shifts that turned each of the games. If OSU could have swung a pair, particularly the final two, we could be talking Cotton Bowl instead of the Heart of Dallas Bowl.
STILLWATER — Oklahoma State's rocky football season and disappointing finish can largely be defined by the pivotal plays and key moments during the team's five losses.
Videoview all videos
Dec 13Check out some the top plays of the year from the Sooners...
Photoview all photos
Here's a quick countdown, in order, of the “what if” momentum shifts that turned each of the games. If OSU could have swung a pair, particularly the final two, we could be talking Cotton Bowl instead of the Heart of Dallas Bowl.
5. Kansas State game — Clint Chelf's late interception
Even if Chelf's fourth-quarter end zone heave is caught by a Cowboy, not a Wildcat, it's still an uphill battle. OSU would need another stop and score in the game's final two minutes just to send the future Big 12 champs into overtime. Certainly not a favorable scenario, but the Cowboys' fifth and final turnover extinguished all hope.
4. Arizona game — Calvin Barnett's 30-yard penalty binge
The big fella announced his Division I arrival in style, pulling the rarely seen double-suplex, double-penalty on Arizona QB Matt Scott. There's much debate on whether he deserved the second personal foul (it was a strange tangle-up), but there's not much discussion about how much it changed the game. Barnett's powerful move awoke the crowd and opened up the yellow floodgates (bringing turnovers with its flags). OSU led 14-0 at the time, Arizona was up 23-14 soon afterward.
3. Baylor game — Blake Jackson's drops
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 402At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 378Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 347How to help tornado victims
- 247Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 147Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 93Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 52Social media used to send prayers and condolences to Oklahoma in wake of deadly tornadoes