Oklahoma State football: Website reports Mike Gundy interviews for Tennessee job
The Cowboys' coach declined to comment Sunday. Gundy said he will only talk about Oklahoma State and its upcoming Heart of Dallas Bowl game.
STILLWATER — Rumors continue to swirl, linking Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy to vacancies at other schools.
For weeks, it's been Arkansas.
Videoview all videos
Dec 2The Sooners' defense stepped up and preserved a 24-17 win...
Dec 1Costly mistakes and turnovers led to a 41-34 loss to...
Dec 1Berry Tramel and Jason Kersey explain how the Sooners...
Dec 1The Cowboys lose the final game of the year to Baylor,...
Photoview all 84 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Then this past weekend, it was Tennessee, with Volquest.com, the school's Rivals affiliate, reporting Gundy interviewed Sunday with Volunteers athletic director Dave Hart.
And still Arkansas, with Hogs247, one of the school's primary recruiting sites, reporting the school was “feeling good” about Gundy for its opening.
Gundy, as expected, declined to comment on if he had interviewed for the Tennessee job — or has had contact with any other schools — during his Sunday night teleconference to discuss the Cowboys' selection to the Heart of Dallas Bowl.
When asked what he did Sunday, an off day for players, Gundy said he spent it “around the house.”
“I would never, just for everybody involved, never talk about any other job or (give) any confirmation of anything that's gone on,” Gundy said. “…I would prefer not to talk about anything other than Oklahoma State or the bowl game.”
Not exactly a straight-up denial to dispel the speculation. And the truth is, with Gundy's track record of success, he's often going to be mentioned as a desirable candidate when jobs become available at traditional programs like Arkansas or Tennessee.
But what would possibly lead Gundy to even consider leaving OSU, his alma mater and the program he built into a national contender? The school with which he recently signed a lucrative new contract that goes through 2019? The city where his family just moved into a new home and plenty of relatives live nearby?
Reports indicate the relationship between Gundy and OSU athletic director Mike Holder is not what it once was. Last year's contract negotiations dragged out and did not go as smoothly as everyone involved had hoped.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister