Oklahoma State football: Why it's Alabama and not OSU playing LSU
FINAL BCS STANDINGS — Comparison of losses and two computers favoring Alabama gave the Crimson Tide the edge needed to keep Oklahoma State out of the title game.
The margin seems small: .0086. That tiny number was the difference between Alabama and Oklahoma State in the final BCS standings, which put Bama in the national championship game and kept the Cowboys out.
Videoview all videos
Dec 4Mike Gundy and OSU players react to the latest BCS poll.
Dec 4Jenni Carlson and Gina Mizell explain how OSU dominated...
Photoview all 135 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But the margin could have been smaller.
Alabama carried the day among the voters. Both the Harris and coaches polls ranked Bama a solid No. 2 over OSU.
The seven computer rankings' average gave the edge to OSU, but of the seven, two – Peter Wolfe and Jeff Sagarin -- had Alabama ahead of the Cowboys. ESPN analyst Brad Edwards said he figures OSU needed to carry all seven computers to jump Alabama, but if only one had gone for the Crimson Tide, the BCS margin would have been razor thin.
Clearly, voters weighed the caliber of both teams' defeat. Alabama lost at home to top-ranked LSU 9-6 in overtime. OSU lost at Iowa State 37-31 in double overtime, but the Cyclones finished 6-6.
The Cowboys' had more quality wins.
Alabama beat three teams ranked in the BCS top 25: No. 6 Arkansas, No. 22 Penn State, No. 25 Auburn.
OSU beat four teams ranked in the BCS top 25: No. 8 Kansas State, No. 12 Baylor, No. 14 Oklahoma and No. 24 Texas.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad