"If they’re malnourished in some way, that is some form of abuse,” Morrissette said. "This is not meant to be punitive; it’s meant to help children,” he added.
MORE FROM NEWSOK
AT A GLANCE
Federal guidelinesAccording to guidelines from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, body mass index measurement programs should adhere to these safeguards in order to reduce the risk of harming students:
• Introduce the program to school staff and community members and obtain parental consent.
• Train staff to administer the effort.
• Establish safeguards to protect privacy for students participating.
• Obtain and use accurate equipment.
• Accurately calculate and interpret the data.
• Develop efficient data collection procedures.
• Avoid using BMI results to evaluate student or teacher performance.
• Regularly evaluate the program and its outcomes and consequences.