Oklahoma State men's basketball: Defensive stopper Brian Williams eyes return within next week
Once deemed out for the season, Williams has rejoined practices. He is only a final doctor's clearance away from playing in a game.
STILLWATER — When Kansas State's Rodney McGruder went off in the second half, fueling a 73-67 win over Oklahoma State to open Big 12 Conference play, injured Cowboys guard Brian Williams sat helplessly on the bench, knowing that was his man.
“All respect to Rodney, but I don't think he would have scored 26 on me,” said Williams, OSU's defensive stopper who has yet to play, after breaking his left wrist in the preseason.
Games like that only fueled Williams' desire to return to the floor, a return that creeps closer to reality.
Once deemed out for the season, Williams has rejoined practices with the Cowboys and is targeting next week for his game debut, with only a final doctor's clearance standing in the way.
“I'm hoping for next Tuesday,” Williams said.
A preseason starter for the Cowboys, the 6-foot-5 swingman averaged 12.3 points during the team's four-game exhibition tour of Spain. As a redshirt freshman a year ago, he started the final 20 games, averaging 11.8 points and 3.3 rebounds in conference play. Beyond the stat line, Williams is considered OSU's best defender, able to defend guards and forwards alike.
“I'm really excited,” Williams said. “I see us keep losing these games, the ones we lost by like six to eight points. I feel like I can come up with six to eight points, get a few rebounds, a few stops.”
The plan for Williams is to continue practicing, go through another round of X-rays or possibly an MRI, then hope for final clearance from doctors.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 87104Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16817OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12528Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 9682Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8846Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation