Oklahoma State men's basketball notebook: Philip Jurick wins battle of bigs
6-foot-11 Jurick took on 6-10, 240-pound Jordan Reves. Jurick grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds, including eight on the offensive end.
One of the intriguing matchups going into Wednesday night's game focused in the post, where OSU's 6-foot-11 Philip Jurick faced some bulk in UTA's 6-10, 240-pound Jordan Reves.
Photoview all 13 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The Cowboys big man neutralized Reves and also grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds — eight on the offensive end, aiding OSU's 15-2 edge in second-chance points in a 69-44 rout.
“Philip Jurick, that's a big ol' boy,” said Mavericks coach Scott Cross. “He can block shots and disrupt you a little bit. And his offensive rebounds were really big as well.”
Reves finished with eight points, yet six came in the second half and most came with Jurick off the floor.
“I like playing against bigger people,” said Jurick, who has mostly faced thinner, quicker post players thus far. “It's kind of harder when I play against undersized posts, moving my feet and stuff. But I like the challenges.”
UP NEXT: TENNESSEE TECH
The Cowboys play the fifth contest in this six-game homestand Saturday, facing Tennessee Tech.
Tip time is noon at Gallagher-Iba Arena.
The Golden Eagles, a member of the Ohio Valley Conference, are 6-5 overall and coming off an 81-62 loss at Auburn on Tuesday.
FREE TICKETS AGAIN?
With class out and most students off campus, OSU offered 1,000 free tickets to be utilized in the lower stands behind both goals — where students regularly sit.
The ticket giveaway, hatched by Cowboys coach Travis Ford after he noticed those areas vacant for last Sunday's game against Central Arkansas, worked, with both ends revealing a solid show of fans.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 28347Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 17448Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7187OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5536OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4738Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3702Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater