Oklahoma State men's basketball notebook: Philip Jurick wins battle of bigs
6-foot-11 Jurick took on 6-10, 240-pound Jordan Reves. Jurick grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds, including eight on the offensive end.
One of the intriguing matchups going into Wednesday night's game focused in the post, where OSU's 6-foot-11 Philip Jurick faced some bulk in UTA's 6-10, 240-pound Jordan Reves.
Photoview all 13 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The Cowboys big man neutralized Reves and also grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds — eight on the offensive end, aiding OSU's 15-2 edge in second-chance points in a 69-44 rout.
“Philip Jurick, that's a big ol' boy,” said Mavericks coach Scott Cross. “He can block shots and disrupt you a little bit. And his offensive rebounds were really big as well.”
Reves finished with eight points, yet six came in the second half and most came with Jurick off the floor.
“I like playing against bigger people,” said Jurick, who has mostly faced thinner, quicker post players thus far. “It's kind of harder when I play against undersized posts, moving my feet and stuff. But I like the challenges.”
UP NEXT: TENNESSEE TECH
The Cowboys play the fifth contest in this six-game homestand Saturday, facing Tennessee Tech.
Tip time is noon at Gallagher-Iba Arena.
The Golden Eagles, a member of the Ohio Valley Conference, are 6-5 overall and coming off an 81-62 loss at Auburn on Tuesday.
FREE TICKETS AGAIN?
With class out and most students off campus, OSU offered 1,000 free tickets to be utilized in the lower stands behind both goals — where students regularly sit.
The ticket giveaway, hatched by Cowboys coach Travis Ford after he noticed those areas vacant for last Sunday's game against Central Arkansas, worked, with both ends revealing a solid show of fans.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister