Oklahoma State University looks to expand confidential reporting system to other campuses after policy change
STILLWATER — Oklahoma State University faculty, students and others have used the university's online reporting system about 500 times to make confidential reports about policy violations since the program launched eight years ago.
Now, OSU officials are working to bring the same system to other colleges and universities around the state.
The Board of Regents for Oklahoma State University and the A&M Colleges adopted a new ethics policy at a meeting Friday.
That policy requires that all colleges and universities in the system implement an online system that allows users to make confidential reports about sexual assault on campus.
OSU has had an online reporting system in place since 2005. The system, called EthicsPoint, allows users to report concerns about any university policy violation to OSU officials. It allows users to remain anonymous, but also gives them the option of identifying themselves.
Once a user makes a report, that report then goes to one of 22 designated investigators, said Jamie Payne, OSU's chief human resources officer. Each area has its own investigator.
The director of safety investigates safety concerns, human resources officials look into employee misconduct and the university's NCAA compliance officer handles possible athletics policy violations.
Of the roughly 500 reports the system has seen since 2005, the most common issue has been employee misconduct, she said. Some of the reports tend to be complaints about management rather than policy violations, she said.
“Some of the issues are founded and some of them are not,” she said.
The board approved the requirement as a part of a package of policy changes related to campus safety and security. Although many of them are in response to a series of alleged sexual assaults at OSU, most of them apply to every college and university the board oversees.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12863Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11549Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5770Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5166Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4505OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4325Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 3991Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law