Oklahoma State women's basketball: Senior Toni Young says Cowgirls can compete with league's elite
The surging Oklahoma State Cowgirl basketball team, with its sparkling 11-0 nonconference record, is off to the best start in program history.
Texas Tech at No. 13 Oklahoma State
* When: 7 p.m. Wednesday
* Where: Gallagher-Iba Arena, Stillwater
* TV: None
* Radio: KXXY-FM 96.1
But to continue its undefeated ways, the 13th-ranked team in the nation now faces an entirely different challenge -- the gauntlet that is Big 12 play.
It begins against Texas Tech in Stillwater on Wednesday night, before a weekend trip to Waco for a shot at Brittney Griner and the defending champion Baylor Lady Bears.
But Toni Young and the Cowgirls believe they're ready to compete with the conference's elite.
Recently named tournament MVP and Big 12 player of the Week for her performance in the Surf 'N Slam Classic title in San Diego, the senior forward heads into her final conference season playing some of the best basketball of her career.
And before it begins, Young talked about the team's hot start and the challenges that lie ahead:
You guys are coming off a big tournament win down in San Diego. What did that do for the team?
I think it was great because it gave us a nice precursor to the Big 12 conference. The last team we played (San Diego State), they were a great team, with shooters all around. I think they could compete in the Big 12, so it was a good game to play right before conference season started.
You were the MVP of the tournament. How'd you feel about your play?
The first game, I don't really know how I got my numbers. I thought I played really bad. But the second game I was able to lock in and perform well for my team.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 92690Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17105OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12852Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8967Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8623Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8590How to help tornado victims
- 8406Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located