Oklahoma State wrestling: Tyler Dorrell ends skid, helps No. 2-ranked Cowboys hammer West Virginia
Dorrell moves from 125 pounds to 133, defeats Colin Johnston by 7-6 score. OSU takes on No. 17 Pittsburgh at 4 p.m. Sunday in Gallagher-Iba Arena.
STILLWATER — When West Virginia joined the Big 12, it had visions of conference championships and national recognition for years to come. But on Friday night in Gallagher-Iba Arena, Oklahoma State made its point crystal clear — there's a hierarchy of wrestling in the Big 12, and the Cowboys sit confidently at the top.
No. 2 OSU dominated the Mountaineers 36-3 in the first conference matchup for both programs.
“It's tough, grinding wrestling that we've got to continue to develop,” OSU coach John Smith said. “Not everything is slick and quick; with pretty takedowns … I did see a lot of that tonight.”
The Cowboys (9-0) set the tone early with a pair of unlikely victories.
At 125 pounds, OSU freshman Eddie Kilmara defeated senior Shane Young 3-2, with Kilmara gaining the one-point edge for 1:11 riding time. The freshman-over-senior storyline would seem to be the surprising moment of the night, but that was before Tyler Dorrell took the mat.
Dorrell, a 133-pound OSU junior, was filling in for injured Jon Morrison. Those were large shoes to fill. Morrison is the No. 5-ranked wrestler in his weight class, sporting a 16-3 record. Smith said Morrison was sidelined with a recurring injury and could be back by Sunday.
Dorrell entered the match against West Virginia's Colin Johnston on a five-match losing skid, and then moving from the 125- to 133-pound weight class. But he found his spark Friday.
Tied at 5 with 15 seconds remaining in the third period, Dorrell earned a two-point takedown, sending the Gallagher-Iba crowd into a frenzy. Johnston added a point for riding time, but it wasn't enough to close the gap. Dorrell won the match, 7-6.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10394Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9157Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5761Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4888Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4371Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4162How to help tornado victims
- 4108Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley