Oklahoma State's John Smith part of USA-led group trying to save Olympic wrestling
USA Wrestling executive director Rich Bender knows it will take an international push to save Olympic wrestling.
To that end, the Americans have formed a star-studded group designed to help get their sport back on the Olympic program.
USA Wrestling has announced that a group led by former world champion Bill Scherr will work to fight the IOC's decision earlier this week to eliminate wrestling from the 2020 Olympics.
Scherr's brother, former U.S. Olympic Committee head Jim Scherr, will take part along with World and Olympic champions Bruce Baumgartner, John Smith, Rulon Gardner and Dan Gable and two-time Olympians Kerry McCoy and Clarissa Chun.
USA Wrestling also plans to lean on international business leaders and public relations experts as it formulates a strategy to petition for re-inclusion.
"It's an opportunity for our sport to have a platform and talk about the characteristics of wrestling. The demographics of our sport. The broad-based participation of our sport. The history of our sport. All the things that are great about our sport," Bender said.
The newly-formed group doesn't have much time to change the IOC's mind.
The IOC executive board will meet in May in St. Petersburg, Russia, to choose which sport or sports to propose for inclusion in 2020. The final vote will be made at the IOC general assembly in September in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Wrestling has now been lumped with a combined bid from baseball and softball, as well as bids from karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and the martial art of wushu.
The first major face-to-face meetings between international wrestling officials will come next week in Tehran, site of the upcoming World Cup tournament.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13851OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13814Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9624Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7322Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7022Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5771Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5205Student shot dead during botched home invasion