Oklahoma to unveil Barry Switzer statue Saturday
BARRY SWITZER — The University of Oklahoma will add a Barry Switzer statue to its collection of monuments to its legendary coaches. The Switzer statue will be unveiled in a ceremony at 12:30 p.m. Saturday.
NORMAN — The University of Oklahoma will unveil a statue of former coach Barry Switzer before Saturday's game against Texas A&M to commemorate the Sooners' career coaching victories leader.
Switzer will be the third coach recognized with a statue. Bennie Owen and Bud Wilkinson statues were unveiled last season.
The ceremony will begin at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, east of the Barry Switzer Center and near the Owen and Wilkinson statues.
Switzer won more games than any other coach in school history, compiling a 157-29-4 mark from 1973-88. He was 100-11-1 in conference games. His Sooners won three national championships (1974, 1975, 1985), 12 Big Eight Conference championships and eight bowl games in 13 appearances.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19791Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7602OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6827Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6472OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5877Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4499Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4468Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash