The Dawsons said they were hiding under the stairs in their home when the tornado hit at 4:21 p.m.
“I’m kind of shaky,” Cathy Dawson said. “We were hiding in a hidey hole. I had just gotten home five minutes before it hit.”
“I think we got the tail of it,” Roland Dawson said, speculating the house would have been gone if it had sustained a direct hit.
“It sounded like an earthquake,” said Steele Jones, another Thornbrooke Village resident.
The tornado knocked down a portion of a brick fence, damaged roofs and did extensive tree damage in the housing addition.
Edmond police said there were no reports of injuries in that city, but about a dozen homes sustained at least some damage. Several power lines were down east of Bryant between 15th and 33rd Streets.
The tornado traveled east from the Thornbrooke addition into the Old Farm addition, where it toppled huge trees along Old Farm Road, completely blocking the road at one point.
Mercy Health Edmond, a hospital facility under construction along Interstate 35, sustained roof damage and broken windows from Sunday’s tornado, but no one was on site when the tornado hit and there were no injuries there, said Rachel Wright, spokeswoman for the hospital.
The National Weather Service in Norman identified two major storm tracks that produced multiple tornadoes. One track began in southeast Edmond and traveled northeast through Carney in Lincoln County. The other began near Norman and traveled northeast to a point north of Shawnee.
The 16 counties included in Gov. Fallin’s emergency declaration are: Caddo, Cleveland, Comanche, Creek, Garfield, Grant, Greer, Kiowa, Lincoln, Logan, McClain, Okfuskee, Oklahoma, Pawnee, Payne and Pottawatomie.
The declaration can be amended to add additional counties if conditions warrant, she said.
“Our hearts and prayers are with those Oklahomans who have been affected by today’s severe weather,” Fallin said.
“The state of emergency declaration will allow state agencies to help expedite the delivery of resources to local jurisdictions to aid with the cleanup and recovery from today’s storm.”
Under Fallin’s executive order, state agencies can make emergency purchases and acquisitions needed to expedite the delivery of resources to local jurisdictions. The declaration also marks a first step toward seeking federal assistance should it be necessary.
The American Red Cross was working Sunday night to set up shelters in Carney, Shawnee and Little Axe, spokesman Ken Garcia said.
Volunteers were busy surveying the damage and driving trucks through neighborhoods to provide drinks, snacks and sports drinks.
Contributing: Staff Writers Matt Dinger, LEIGHANNE MANWARREN, Diana Baldwin, Lillie-Beth Brinkman, Jaclyn Cosgrove, Juliana Keeping, Nolan Clay, Adam Kemp and Bryan Painter
MORE FROM NEWSOK
- Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Six tips for tornado survivors
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Rare term used in Monday's storms
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore Medical Center damaged by tornado
- Relatives arrive at hospital in frantic searches for loved ones in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Rescuers search into night for Moore schoolchildren
- Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Energy company donation seeds nonprofit for school safe rooms
- Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Pecan Valley residents struggle to recover
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Hospitals continue to treat patients injured from tornadoes
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Longtime friend takes in Orr Family horses
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Stories from the storm
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Acts of kindness
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Businessmen donate fuel, light plants to relief effort
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers teachers, students reunite after tornado
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers principal helps knit school together
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Despite losing race against tornado, mother, daughter reunited
- Adam Wilmoth column: Recipients of Oklahoma spirit grateful for helping hands
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Hard rain hinders cleanup efforts
- Oklahoma tornadoes: SBA offers assistance to Oklahoma businesses affected by tornadoes
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Memorial service set for Oklahoma tornado victims
- If you go: Tornado benefit concerts
- deadCenter Film Festival and Myriad Gardens teaming up for tornado relief
- GOING ON: 37th Annual Paseo Arts Festival
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Paseo Arts Festival in Oklahoma City brightens holiday weekend
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Comics community reaches out after tornado
- Oklahoma tornadoes: 'I just don't know how to feel. It's just something I had to do'
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Mobile post offices being set up for affected Moore areas
- Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross agrees to dedicate text donations to state storm relief efforts
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore Superintendent vows schools will reopen in August
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Bonds at Plaza Tower Elementary stronger than any tornado
- Moore tornado: More on Big Dog & the hug
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado damage could exceed $2 billion
- Oklahoma tornadoes: House gives final approval to tornado relief
- Oklahoma tornadoes: OU, OSU and the Univ. of Tulsa combine efforts for relief T-shirts
- Oklahoma tornadoes: For the moment, too many volunteers are in affected area
- Kids, teachers from school devastated by Moore tornado reunite
- Oklahoma tornadoes: BP donates $500K to Moore tornado relief effort
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Motorists urged to avoid I-35 in Moore
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- Kristin Chenoweth raising money for Oklahoma tornado relief thorugh her Maddie's Corner charity
- Reduxion Theatre to donate proceeds from Thursday's performance of "Tom Jones" to tornado relief
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore students can say goodbye
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore students can say goodbye
- Verses of Hope: Tornado victims reminisce about their terrifying storm ordeals
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Children endured tornado in hall of Plaza Towers Elementary
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Love's to give $3 million to storm relief
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Storm shelter installations spike after storms, records show
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Major retailers Target and Walmart hustle to meet demand for necessities
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Hurricane Sandy victims send supplies to Oklahoma
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- Oklahoma tornadoes: U.S. Homeland Security secretary tours storm damage in Moore
- Oklahoma tornado: EF5 tornadoes like Monday's are very rare
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Acts of kindness
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Historic bridge near Newcastle damaged beyond repair
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Racing pigeon lands in Edmond from Dallas after storm
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Residents of Carney appreciate support
- Oklahoma tornadoes: President Barack Obama to visit Oklahoma on Sunday
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Tony Allen teaming with Grizzlies, Red Cross to collect donations
- OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Battle-hardened National Guardsmen work different kind of mission in Moore
- Oklahoma tornadoes: A cemetery cleanup to remember long past Memorial Day
- Local Musicians Show Outpouring of Support to Moore Tornado Victims
- Oklahoma tornadoes: OSSAA offers to replace state championship memorabilia lost in tornadoes
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified
- Oklahoma tornadoes: OU's Merv Johnson 'was extremely lucky, but I wasn't very smart' with weather decisions
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Dub Raper's boys are giving back to their coach
- Oklahoma City Thunder visits affected Moore, southwest Oklahoma City areas
- Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- UPDATED Video: Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert to perform "Over You" in honor of Oklahoma on "The Voice" tonight; Swon Brothers contending on tonight's show
- Oklahoma Senate votes to tap fund for tornado relief
- Moore theater to shift back to entertainment
- Oklahoma City mayor says 12,000 to 13,000 homes damaged or destroyed by May 20 tornado
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Backers of Oklahoma museum projects withdraw funding requests
- Before and after: May 20, 2013 Tornadoes
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Mother, newborn died seeking refuge from the storm
- Central Oklahoma builder has rebuilt before in Moore
- Realtors look for housing for Oklahoma tornado victims
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Damage could top $2 billion
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Mother, her children survive inside Plaza Towers school
- Oklahoma tornadoes: President Barack Obama pledges federal aid: 'There are homes and schools to rebuild'
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Power restored at Oklahoma City water plant
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma energy companies contribute millions to relief efforts
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Insurance companies set up in Moore, in it for the long haul
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Lawmaker seeks bond issue to pay for storm shelters
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Survivor rides out tornado in doomed Moore school
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Social media used to warn, find information
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Acts of kindness are seen as businesses, others donate
- Oklahoma tornadoes: For Moore businesses, rebuilding will be more than structural
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Price gouging law is in effect in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma tornadoes: State attorney general advises donors to be aware in helping with relief effort
- Food Dude: Deadly Oklahoma tornadoes make it tough to think about cooking out
- Oklahoma tornadoes: When Moore gets hit: 'We kick back'
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Area's restaurant community steps up to support relief efforts
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Heatherwood addition survivors begin to rise again
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Orr Family Farm begins rebuilding
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore Public Schools closes for year
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Follow reporters, editors on Twitter to get late-breaking coverage
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Shawnee-area tornado carved a path similar to recent twister
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore woman, her family among survivors OU shelters
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Stories from the neighborhood
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Area groups offer help for tornado survivors
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Trial ends when police witnesses called to help at tornado site
- Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It's my cats I miss,' said woman whose home is gone
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Rescue teams continue search for victims
- Southmoore football players feel impact of tornado
- Oklahoma twister a top-of-the-scale EF-5
- Oklahoma Attorney General: Post-tornado donors beware
- Mom arrives at day care seconds ahead of Oklahoma tornado
- Power of Moore tornado dwarfs Hiroshima bomb
- OKC Thunder, Thunder Cares Foundation donate $1 million to tornado relief
- Oklahoma energy companies contribute more than $6.5 million to relief efforts
- Price gouging law in effect in Oklahoma after tornadoes
- CONTACT US: Plaza Towers Elementary students/staff/family
- Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin: We will rebuild after tornado
- Father credits Moore teacher for saving son's life
- Pope expresses solidarity with Oklahoma tornado survivors
- Crews dig through night after deadly Oklahoma twister
- AP photographer sees kids pulled from Oklahoma school
- Noon news conference planned for Tuesday in wake of Moore tornado
- Crews work in Moore through the night and into the morning looking for survivors
- Oklahoma Highway Patrol: No Moore residents allowed back into neighborhoods overnight
- High schools: Practices called off long before tornado hit Moore
- At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- Hospitals treat more than 120 after Oklahoma tornado
- Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- Oklahoma water treatment plant knocked out by storm
- Communications difficult after Oklahoma tornado
- Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- Storm damage in southeast Edmond: 'That was our favorite tree,' said Reggie Ayers of the 100-year-old cottonwood tree toppled by the storm.
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Officials assess damage to $88 million Edmond medical complex
- Oklahoma storms: 2 Shawnee men victims of deadly tornado
- UPDATE: Westbound I-40 reopens at U.S. 177 in Shawnee, Oklahoma Highway Patrol reports
- Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- Oklahoma tornadoes: How to help
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Tractor-trailers thrown about on Interstate 40
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Carney residents describe damage as 'unreal'
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Northeast part of Cleveland County sees damage
- Oklahoma tornadoes: National Weather Service reports continued severe weather risk for Monday
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Some houses in Dale neighborhood reduced to 'splinters'
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- White House promises help after Oklahoma tornado
- NWS: Okla. tornado had winds up to 200 mph
Oklahoma State's Jawun Evans, U.S. U-19 team roll past Italy into FIBA World Championship semifinals
Report: Dallas Mavericks agree to deal with center DeAndre Jordan
Bubba Watson to paint over Confederate flag on General Lee
Spurs' Becky Hammon to be first female head coach in summer league
Why Is Reddit On Strike?