Oklahoma tornadoes: Man swept up in May 24 twister dies
Oklahoma tornadoes: Ron Martin, of Carmen, tried to hide from a May 24 tornado by parking his pickup in a barn, his sons said.
FAIRVIEW — The latest victim of the May 24 tornado outbreak had nowhere to hide except inside a pickup parked in a barn, his sons said Friday.
Ron Martin, 57, of Carmen, died Thursday from injuries suffered in a tornado that hit the Fairview and Canton areas. He suffered a spinal cord injury that his sons said triggered more complications. He became the 11th person killed in tornadoes that struck at least seven counties that day and the only one to die in the storm that hit near Canton Lake.
His younger son, Kent Martin, said his father was working on the family farm eight miles west of Fairview when hail began to fall. He rushed to the barn in his pickup for safety, Kent Martin said.
“The tornado came through and took the barn with him inside the pickup truck,” said his oldest son, Charles Martin.
Ron Martin was found about 70 feet from the barn, still in the pickup. The vehicle was upright, but it looked like it had gone through a brick wall, Kent Martin said.
He was rushed to a Fairview hospital and then to OU Medical Center.
“He was whispering. We were able to find out some of the details,” Kent Martin said. “That was a pretty emotional time before surgery.”
Kent Martin said his father spent the next two days in intensive care before surgery.
During that time, neighbors and friends helped clean up destruction on the farm.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims