Oklahoma tornadoes: Relief agencies helping victims
Oklahoma tornadoes: The Salvation Army and American Red Cross are among the agencies helping tornado victims and feeding emergency workers in Tushka and Atoka.
TUSHKA — The Salvation Army and the American Red Cross are among the agencies providing relief to tornado victims.
NewsOK Related Articles
HOW TO HELP
• People who want to donate to The Salvation Army's relief efforts can go to www.
• To donate to the Red Cross, go to www.
Salvation Army volunteers from Ardmore and McAlester are providing meals to emergency responders and assessing how to help victims, Salvation Army spokeswoman Heide Brandes said.
The Tulsa regional office of the American Red Cross is providing meals at the Red Cross shelter at First Baptist Church in Atoka, spokeswoman Donita Quesnel said. Twelve people spent Thursday night at the shelter, Quesnel said.
“The tornado did cut quite a path,” Quesnel said. “The (Tushka) school is leveled, and seeing it gives you a sense of the force and power of the storm.” People staying at the shelter “are just very positive, and they are glad to be alive,” she said.
The Red Cross is distributing items to assist Tushka residents with cleanup efforts. Items are offered free at the Tushka Fire Department, 101 SE First St., and includes water, shovels, rakes, trash cans, trash bags, gloves, tarps and brooms.
The Red Cross has three emergency vehicles conducting mobile feeding in neighborhoods, providing meals, water and snacks to residents and workers.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 27859Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15705Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9405Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8491Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8399Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena