Oklahoma Turnpike Authority searches for new director
A new Oklahoma Turnpike Authority director will be responsible solely for overseeing the toll roads. Another person will be hired to head the Oklahoma Transportation Department. Both positions now are held by Gary Ridley, who will retire March 31.
The next director of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority will be responsible solely for that agency.
Albert C. Kelly, chairman of the Turnpike Authority, said Friday the agency hopes to name a new director by April to succeed Gary Ridley, who will stay on the governor's Cabinet as secretary of transportation.
NewsOK Related Articles
Ridley is director of the Turnpike Authority and director of the state Transportation Department. He announced in December he will retire from both positions March 31.
“We'll have a single individual running the OTA and a single individual running ODOT,” Kelly said.
Ridley has served as director of both agencies since 2009. In the 1990s, Neal McCaleb also served as director of the Turnpike Authority and the Transportation Department, as well as a Cabinet secretary of transportation.
Authority members met in a closed session to discuss plans to find a director to succeed Ridley.
“We would very much like to have a selection made by the time Mr. Ridley has departed,” Kelly said.
Kelly said the authority doesn't plan to advertise for the post. Ridley, who has been the Transportation Department's director since 2001, is known nationally in the highway industry and word has spread about his retirement.
Kelly said the authority is not planning at this time to hire a firm to help with the search.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21059Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7331Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6693OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5627Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4676Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4297Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater