Oklahoma universities break enrollment records
As students at most of Oklahoma's colleges and universities headed back to class Monday, many found their campuses more crowded than when they left in May.
Videoview all videos
Aug 20Many colleges and universities around the state,...
Photoview all photos
Many colleges and universities across the state, including the state's three largest institutions, began their fall semesters Monday.
And those three largest schools — the University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University and the University of Central Oklahoma — are breaking enrollment records.
Colleges and universities won't have final enrollment numbers until they complete their fall enrollment periods.
OSU: Most freshmen
On Monday, OSU's freshman class size stood at 4,298, making it the largest freshman class at any public university in the state's history. That total tops the previous record of 4,053, set by OU last year.
Overall enrollment at OSU's Stillwater campus is also at an all-time high. Monday's enrollment total stood at 23,459, topping the campus' previous record of 23,053, set in 1982.
In a statement, OSU President Burns Hargis attributed the enrollment growth to support from alumni and other donors.
“OSU's increased enrollment numbers are a direct result of the momentum of our generous donors who are creating opportunities for our faculty and students and the university's partnership with the city of Stillwater in making this community a top destination for students,” Hargis said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates