Oklahoma volunteers are honored for hurricane relief work
An Oklahoma Southern Baptist relief team was honored in New Jersey for helping after Hurricane Sandy.
An Oklahoma Baptist disaster relief leader said one city has shown the state's volunteers “Southern hospitality” — though the city is in New Jersey.
Monday, members of the Oklahoma Baptist Disaster Relief team were honored for coming to the aid of Hurricane Sandy victims in Middletown, N.J.
Middletown Mayor Anthony P. Fiore and the Middletown Township Committee presented volunteers representing the disaster relief team and the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma a proclamation honoring the team's service to the area.
The presentation was held at the Middletown Town Hall and attended by several members of the New Monmouth Baptist Church, which hosted the Oklahoma Baptists.
“Thank you for bringing warm smiles, hot meals, and enduring friendships at a time when we needed it most,” the proclamation stated.
Sam Porter, director of Oklahoma Baptist Disaster Relief, said he was proud of every volunteer who served in Middletown and areas on the New Jersey coast. He said Middletown residents — including Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts — were very appreciative of the volunteers' efforts.
“I can tell you I've done between 90 and 100 disasters, literally all over the United States and the world, and we've really never been in a community that expressed appreciation like the city of Middletown,” Porter said Monday.
“They were the best at Southern hospitality. They just could not say ‘thank you' enough.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 17094Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9372Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9356Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6811Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6759Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6251Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit