Oklahoma voters can go to polls Tuesday for state and county primary elections
Democrats and Republicans have the same number of primary races across Oklahoma; Republicans dominate the state-level races with the most primaries, while Democrats dominate the county-level races with the most primaries. Independent voters cannot participate in Tuesday's election.
Registered Republicans and Democrats can head to the polls Tuesday to vote in primary elections for Congress, Corporation Commission, state House, state Senate and several county-level seats such as sheriff, county commissioner, court clerk and county clerk.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Live, updated election results for all 77 counties will be available on NewsOK.com Tuesday night, along with in-depth coverage of early and final results.
Registered independent voters cannot participate in the primary, even though a number of the races will elect winners; in several of the races, there is no opponent from another party for the candidates to face in the general election. Oklahoma has closed primaries that only allow voters to cast ballots for the party in which they are registered.
All four congressmen who are seeking re-election would have to go through a general election in November, and three of the four face a primary election challenger.
Rep. James Lankford, R-Oklahoma City, is the only congressman up for re-election who doesn't face a primary challenger before the general election.
Across the state, primary elections will determine who holds office for 13 seats in the state House of Representatives and four seats in the state Senate because there are no opponents from other parties.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates