Oklahoma voters cool to calls for more spending on education
NewsOK Related Articles
If education advocates want a larger share of state appropriations, they must acknowledge it often requires offsetting cuts in other government programs, particularly social services. So far, school funding proponents haven't made that case, preferring to instead demonize tax reductions. That's been a losing strategy.
More importantly, in their quest for greater school spending, proponents have often failed to answer fundamental questions: Exactly how will extra money be used, and how will that improve student performance?
Until advocates give a compelling response, their political successes will continue to be limited.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 21842Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 19892Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims