Oklahoma wildlife officials trying to stop invasion of bighead, silver carp
State wildlife officials are trying to stop invasion of Asian carp with proposed fishing regulation
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
HUNTING AND FISHING REGULATIONS
A complete list of proposed new hunting and fishing regulations for 2013 can be found on the Wildlife Department's website, www.wildlifedepartment.
The public comment period on the proposals is open through Jan. 18. A public hearing on proposals is scheduled Jan. 8 in Oklahoma City at 7 p.m. at the Wildlife Department's headquarters, 1801 N. Lincoln.
It's common for anglers and fishing guides to capture live baitfish, such as shad, at one location and transport them to another lake and use them as bait.
State wildlife officials fear juvenile bighead or silver carp also could get caught along with the baitfish, and anglers might unknowingly put them into new lake or river.
“It takes one net full of shad below Denison (Dam) and taking them up to Texoma, and you might have introduced them right there,” Tackett said.
Lakes such as Sooner and Skiatook have small populations of shad, and anglers there often catch their baitfish at another body of water, Tackett said.
The bighead and silver carp invasion in Oklahoma waters seems isolated for now, Tackett said.
“But in some our surveys, we were finding males and females of both species and the females were full of eggs,” Tackett said. “Are they reproducing (in Oklahoma)? We haven't done enough surveys to find that out, but it's definitely a possibility.”
Tackett said it's very difficult to keep the Asian carps out of Oklahoma waters.
“Once you get them, you are stuck with managing them,” he said. “It's really a hard issue to tackle, but this (the proposed regulation) is our best shot at it for now.”
And Tackett has seen firsthand the jumping ability of the silver carp during an electrofishing survey on the Kiamichi River last summer.
“We actually had two silver carp jump in the boat,” he said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13360Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9892Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9697Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8639Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6622Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5282Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister