Oklahoma women's basketball: Nicole Griffin's offseason work pays off, leads Sooners to exhibition victory
Griffin scores 23 points and adds three rebounds, an assist and a block as OU hammers Oklahoma Christian.
Photoview all 11 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Freshman Maddie Manning tried to alley-oop the ball to Hook.
“We don't practice it in practice,” Hook said cautiously. “That's something we always wanted to do so we ... just ... tried it.”
Coale's eyes widened, and she slowly shook her head and half-smiled as Hook spoke.
The Sooners ended the game with 22 turnovers, but Coale said it was a by-product of the freshmen transitioning.
“That's them playing too fast,” Coale said. “I'm not worried. We'll live with those for now.”
Coale's team came in with some goals: walk away from the scrimmage with film to learn from and have fun.
Coale said the Sooners did both, and they executed the way she hoped on offense.
“We want to score in the first six seconds and if we can't, we want to out-execute people,” Coale said. “It's not, ‘Do you have a big (player) that's really mobile?' It's ‘Do you have a big that's willing to work hard enough to get in there in four seconds?'”
Coale found her big player willing to put the four seconds to the test in Nicole Griffin.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister