Oklahoma women's basketball notebook: Sue Guevara helped turn around Central Michigan
When Sue Guevara arrived at Central Michigan in 2007, the Chippewas were a struggling program. Central Michigan had posted just one winning season since 1992-93.
When Sue Guevara arrived at Central Michigan in 2007, the Chippewas were a struggling program.
Central Michigan had posted just one winning season since 1992-93.
Her first season, the Chippewas were 6-23.
“I knew it was going to be tough, in changing the culture and the perception,” Guevara told the Detroit Free Press recently.
After a few near misses in recent years, Central Michigan is in the NCAA Women's Tournament for the first time since 1984.
No. 6-seed Oklahoma will play No. 11 Central Michigan at 10:10 a.m. Saturday in Columbus, Ohio.
Guevara is plenty familiar with Columbus, having served as a graduate assistant at Ohio State in 1984-85. She's also been there plenty as an opposing coach, as an assistant at Michigan State (1986-96) and as a head coach at Michigan (1996-2003).
While Central Michigan hasn't been to the tournament in a long time, the Chippewas do have both tournament experience and experience against the Sooners on the roster.
Central Michigan's Jessica Scholl played for Iowa State in the 2010 and 2011 tournaments.
SOONERS EXCITED FOR CHANCE TO COME HOME
The bracket fell about as well as it could've for the Sooners, with a No. 6 seed at a site without a home-court team in the tournament.
And if Oklahoma can get past the first two rounds, which would likely have to include a second-round upset over UCLA, the Sooners will come home to play in Oklahoma City.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit