Oklahoma women's basketball: Sharane Campbell and Sooners are ready for Texas
Basketball's version of the Red River Rivalry has grown on Campbell, who was born and raised in Spencer.
Sharane Campbell was born and raised in Spencer with little disdain for the Texas Longhorns.
She watched little Oklahoma women's basketball, and the Red River Rivalry meant even less to her.
Things have changed.
“Since I've been here it has grown on me,” Campbell said with a laugh. “I just always want to beat them.”
Campbell took a few minutes to talk with The Oklahoman about her double-double, conference play and the team's game against Texas that tips off at 12:30 p.m. Saturday.
On Wednesday, you scored a double-double. Your best performance of the season?
“Yes. It was definitely my best performance of the season, just getting down the court and rebounding. I think that's what really got it started — just getting rebounds and getting fouls.”
How do you keep up that level of play throughout the conference schedule?
“I've been playing good defense, and I've been getting good energy from that, so I guess try to keep in mind that if you're good on defense, you'll get everyone else. And also just to keep my energy there and carry it into conference season.”
Having both Maddie Manning and Whitney Hand go down to injury wasn't a good thing for your team. Do you feel like you're starting to become more comfortable now or is it still a little uneasy?
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister