Oklahoma women's basketball: Sooners coach Sherri Coale adds two volleyball players to depleted roster
Tara Dunn, Eden Williams bring some basketball experience, though they will not see much court time. They add depth to a roster shredded by injuries.
NORMAN — Oklahoma women's basketball coach Sherri Coale added two players to her thin roster this week; she didn't have to go far to find either of them.
Tara Dunn and Eden Williams, both from the Oklahoma volleyball squad, joined the basketball team, increasing the number of healthy players on the Sooners' roster to 10.
Neither Dunn nor Williams is expected to see much game action; their roles will primarily be providing practice depth for the Sooners, who have lost four players to season-ending injuries since preseason workouts began.
Oklahoma's most recent injury was its most devastating. Senior guard Whitney Hand, undoubtedly the team's leader and most popular player, tore an ACL, prematurely ending her career.
Hand had surgery on the knee Thursday, and the operation was a success, according to an OU spokesman.
The Sooners (9-2) beat California-Riverside 70-46 at home in their last outing, with junior guard Aaryn Ellenberg scoring a season-high 27 points. For that performance, Ellenberg was named the Big 12 Conference's Player of the Week on Thursday.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister