Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
"Is there ever a concern that winning early, you have to live up to that success for the rest of your career?” Stoops was asked in reference to his stunning Year 2 conquest. How's that for "what have you done for me lately” — to an extreme. The Sooner coach's response: "Why would it? Isn't that what everyone goes after? I'd much rather win one than not, let's just answer it that way.” It's not like Stoops and the Sooners have taken a tumble. They've won and won big. Excluding his debut takeover season in 1999, Stoops and his teams' 90 wins are more than any other program during that time. OU's played for two more national titles and appeared in five more BCS bowls since that Sooner Magic-al 2000 season. Yeah, there have been a few hiccups, two straight Fiesta Bowl setbacks among them, if you're searching for warts. And that's being really nitpicky. Grading a coach by national championship standards? That's a wicked curve. Think fans of premier programs like Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami, Michigan, Penn State and Tennessee would offer their mascot's right arm (paw? hoof?) to be in such a spot? Same for folks around the Big 12, where Stoops-led teams keep getting in their way.
Oklahoma's Bob Stoops is clearly No. 1 in Big 12
How about this for a theory: Bob Stoops is too good for his own good.Stoops, not for the first time, last week faced a loaded line of questioning built around his 2000 national title – and his run without another since then.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in