Oklahoma's dominating win over K-State pushes Sooners from the ledge to the edge
Videoview all videos
Oct 30Berry Tramel and Travis Haney explain how the Sooners...
Oct 30Landry Jones set a school record with 505 passing yards,...
Photoview all 42 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Klein ran for touchdowns on successive possessions, then directed another threat late in the second quarter, which crashed with a missed field goal. From that point on, the ‘Cats had but two first downs.
Meanwhile, the OU offense, despite losing tailback Dom Whaley to a fractured ankle on the game's first play, produced eight touchdowns and a field goal on 13 possessions. The ‘Cat defense isn't the Purple People Eaters, but it entered ranking No. 1 in Big 12 total defense.
“It was good to see them (enjoy playing) in a competitive environment, playing snap to whistle,” said OU offensive coordinator Josh Heupel. “Good to see our guys fight.”
The Sooners fought a week ago, but too late. This time, they fought from the time they saw the autumn colors on the Flint Hills trees.
“We played better,” Stoops said. “Whether it's attitude or not, doesn't much matter to me. We need to play like that all the time.”
But it's obvious to all that the Sooners were more mentally into this game. From the jawing match pregame to the defensive discipline to the precision on offense.
“The psyche is so undervalued,” Venables said. “We came in with a sense of desperation. We came out to fight for every inch.”
Maybe the Sooners learned that a sense of desperation is handy to have every Saturday, even if the Schooner is crowded again.
Berry Tramel: Berry can be reached at (405) 760-8080 or at email@example.com. He can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including AM-640 and FM-98.1. You can also view his personality page at newsok.com/berrytramel.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13976Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9656Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9589Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8454Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6577Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6030Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5383Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister