Oklahoma's voters head to polls Tuesday for statewide primary election
Voters head to the polls Tuesday in statewide primary
Voters will decide the fate Tuesday of dozens of candidates waging primary election campaigns in congressional, legislative and county races.
Oklahoma has a closed primary system, meaning only registered voters of a political party may vote in that party's primary election.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
AT A GLANCE
When to vote
Polls will be open Tuesday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Runoff elections, if necessary, are Aug. 28;
and Nov. 6 is the general election.
TO LEARN MORE
For more information, go to the state election board website's at www.
The only statewide race is the Republican contest for corporation commissioner. Commissioner Bob Anthony was elected in 1988 to the state's three-member energy, transportation and utility regulatory panel. He is being challenged by Brooks Mitchell, a former director of administration for the commission. The victor will win a six-year term on the commission; no Democrat or independent filed for it.
Democrats and Republicans can vote for candidates seeking the 2nd, 3rd and 4th congressional districts, with the largest race in the 2nd Congressional District where six Democrats and three Republicans are seeking to succeed U.S. Rep. Dan Boren, D-Muskogee, who is not seeking re-election. The 2nd Congressional District GOP and Democratic nominees will be joined by an independent in the Nov. 6 general election.
In the 1st Congressional District, U.S. Rep. John Sullivan, R-Tulsa, is being opposed by Jim Bridenstine, R-Tulsa.
There are also dozens of legislative and county primary races.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 20548Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16464Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11845Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 11178Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9890Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9771Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9386OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures