at a glance
As researchers study the need for new Oklahoma reservoirs, here are facts concerning some of the water resources that already exist in the state. Oklahoma has:
• 52 major lakes with 1,000 or more surface acres.
• Nearly 3,000 lakes or ponds with 10 or more surface acres.
• About 387,000 smaller lakes or ponds.
• About 500 named rivers and creeks.
• Oklahoma's largest lake by volume is Lake Texoma, with about 2.6 million acre-feet of water.
• Oklahoma's largest lake by surface area is Lake Eufaula, which covers about 105,000 acres.